Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sweet Tomatoes

Harvesting food from my garden to eat is one of my favorite things to do.  It rewards me for all the mindful efforts I make in the spring and summer with planting, feeding, weeding and tending. This time of year the amount of tomatoes I receive are in abundance.  I eat as many as I  reasonably can,share many and put the rest up for winter recipes using fresh frozen tomatoes.  

The winter season has me crave this sweet flavor and the frozen sauce brings me back to sunnier and warmer days in an instant.  In that moment I am present in the cooler days and the warm memories.  Isn't that true with life?  A reading I shared this morning talked about the instantaneous change that occurs in our minds when familiar things arise in our presence.  Some of these are pleasant and some of them provoke feeling that are not so pleasant.  They way to releasing the impact, good and not so good is to see them for what they truly are, triggers into the past.  When we really see them, their impact lessens and we become more free to see old things and new things in new ways.  

Today I eat my sweet tomatoes in all their rich and natural abundance.  I endeavor to savor each bite as another new experience.  Like each moment of life, each tomato has its own flavor, experience and color.  I will welcome it while they are here.  
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment